Help & Support
How do I create an account?
Signing up and creating a companiions account is free.
If you don't have a companiions account yet, go to companiions.com and click get started.
You can sign up using your email address, ID, bank or payment details and a bunch of other things that let us know who you are.
After you sign up, be sure to complete your account before making sending or accepting a visit request.
Managing your account
To edit or change your payment details or profile go your account details
How do I reset or change my password?
To reset your password
If you've forgotten your password, or you're having trouble logging in to your companiions account, go to the rest password page on the app login screen
Enter the email address you use for companiions, then click or tap Send reset link. You'll be emailed a link to reset your password.
To change your password if you know your current password, and you want to change it:
- Go to Account > Login & security
- Next to Password, click or tap Update
- Enter your current and new passwords, confirm your new password, then click or tap Update password
You can edit the information that appears on your companiions profile, such as your main profile photo or email address, from your account settings.
The different sections of your profile include:
- Edit Profile: Update the basics about who you are and where you live, including the phone number and email address you’ll share when you have a confirmed visit
- Photos: Take a photo with your mobile device. You’ll be asked to add a photo that clearly shows your face before sending or accepting a visit request.
- Trust and Verification: Verify your ID, address and account details and for companions add DBS and go through our thorough ID verification testing via our in app partner Jumio here
How do I change the email address on my companions account?
To change the email address you use for your companiions account:
- Go to account details on the app
- Next to Email Address, enter the email address you want to use
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Save
How do I add emergency contacts to my account?
An emergency contact gives us another way to help out if you’re ever in an urgent situation. You can add up to 2 contacts to your account.
To add emergency contacts:
- Sign in to your companiions account
- Go to account
- Under Emergency Contact
- Click + Add contact and fill in their details
You can add additional contacts or remove an existing contact by following steps 1-4 above. Just click Remove or + Add contact.
How do I deactivate or delete my account?
To deactivate your account
You’ll need to log in to your account on the app to deactivate your account, which you can do yourself through on your account page
When you deactivate your account:
- Any visits you currently have as a host or a guest will automatically be cancelled.
- Your profile will be hidden.
- If you are an organiser your profile will be hidden.
- Some information, such as your reviews, may remain visible to others.
- We’ll retain your account data so you can reactivate your account in the future.
If you want to reactivate your account you simply have to log in using your username and password.
To delete your account
If you want to permanently close and delete your account, you can do this yourself through your account
When you delete your account:
- We will verify your identity for security purposes before accepting the deletion request.
- Any reservations you currently have as a companion or organiser will need to be cancelled by you.
- Once your account is deleted, you can’t reactivate it, recover any data, or regain access. You'll need to set up a new account if you want to use companiions again.
I'm a companiions user, how do I exercise my data subject rights?
This page provides some general information on how to contact companiions in order to exercise your data subject rights under applicable law. If you have any questions about privacy or data protection at companiions, you can contact us
Opt out from marketing communications
Exercising your right to opt out from receiving marketing emails, notifications, messages, or calls
You can change your marketing preferences at any time by either clicking the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of any marketing email, or by logging in to your account and following these steps:
- Go to the app
- Go into the account area
- Manage your notifications in notification settings
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Save
If you are still receiving emails from companiions after opting out
We will continue to use the contact details you provided in order to send you notifications related to a service you have requested. If you do not want to receive any notifications from companiions (including service messages) please manage this in your notifications in your account or contact us
Opting out of companiions usage of personal data for direct marketing purposes, including sharing your data with third parties for marketing purposes
Object to processing
How to object to companiions processing of some of your personal data for certain specific purposes
If allowed under the laws of the jurisdiction where you reside, you may request that companiions not process your personal information for certain specific purposes (including profiling) where such processing is based on legitimate interest. If you object to such processing, companiions will no longer process your personal information for these purposes unless we can demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for such processing, or such processing is required for the establishment, exercise, or defence of legal claims.
You may exercise your rights to object to processing by sending us an email.
Can companiions deactivate my account?
companiions may limit, suspend, or deactivate your account, as outlined in our Terms and conditions.
Your account may be frozen due to your late cancellations, poor review or other problems. To reactivate your account in this case, follow the steps in the email that you received.
Your account may be deactivated during a review of companiions accounts. Account Reviews are part of an effort to uphold our companiions Standards and foster mutual trust. Your account may also be deactivated or suspended as the result of an issue reported to our Customer Service team. companiions takes safety very seriously, and if we receive a report of a violation of our Standards, we will investigate the report and take appropriate action. While our goal is to provide users with information about actions we take on your account, the following may occur with or without notifying you directly:
- Your account can be frozen or suspended
- You may not be able to access the platform, your account or content, or receive assistance from companiions support
If your account is deactivated or suspended, any upcoming pending or accepted visits you have as either a companion or organiser can be cancelled. We may also:
- Communicate to the appropriate organiser or companion that there visit was cancelled
- Refund organisers in full, regardless of the cancellation policy.
- Contact companions about alternative visits that may be available.
How do I manage my notification settings?
You can manage the ways you get notifications from companiions in your notification setting on your account settings
Types of notifications
These are the types of notifications you can get from companiions:
- Messages: Communication from companions or organisers
- Reminders and suggestions: Visit reminders, helpful tips to improve your visit and other messages related to your activities on companiions
- Promotions and tips: Promotions, surveys, product updates and inspiration from companiions and its partners
- Policy and community: Updates on visiting laws and advocacy efforts in your community
- Account support: Messages about your account, your visits, legal updates, security and privacy info and customer support requests
How you get notifications
These are the ways you can get notifications from companiions:
- Email: Sent to the email address in your companiions account
- Push: Sent to the mobile device or tablet that has the companiions app
- Text (SMS): Sent to the phone number in your companiions account
- Phone: Calls to the phone number in your companiions account
When you sign up with companiions, you can choose to receive promotional and policy notifications and add a phone number to get certain phone and text notifications.
We’ll send most of the other types of notifications to you automatically. To review which notifications you’re getting and make changes, go to your notification settings.
Turn off notifications
You can turn off most notifications in your notification settings. For text, push, phone and some email notifications, you can also take the following actions to turn them off:
- Text (SMS): Reply STOP. To start receiving them again, reply START.
- Emails: Click Unsubscribe in promotions and tips or policy emails
- Push: In your mobile or tablet settings, turn off push notifications for the companiions app.
- Phone: Ask the caller to remove you from receiving future calls for promotions and tips or policy
To help ensure we can contact you with important information, you can’t turn off email notifications related to visits, account activity, legal updates, security and privacy notices and customer services requests. In some circumstances, such as if we can’t reach you by email, we may need to contact you by phone or other means.
Why didn't I get my email notification?
Make sure your email address is correct
We might be sending emails to an old or incorrect email address. To see or change the email address associated with your account, log in to your companiions account from a desktop computer and follow the steps below:
- Go to account
- Look for the Email Address field. Make sure your address is correct.
- If it’s incorrect, add the correct address, scroll to the bottom of the page, and click Save.
Check your email notification settings
We'll only send the emails you tell us you want. To check your email notification settings, log in to your companiions account from a desktop computer and follow the steps below:
- Go to your account then Notification Settings.
- Look for the "Email Settings" field. Make sure you’ve chosen the email types you want to receive.
- After adding or removing ticks from the right boxes, scroll to the bottom of the page and click Save.
Search all messages in your email inbox
Sometimes emails can get lost in your inbox. In your email account, search for terms like "companiions", "visit", or other words related to the email you're looking for.
Check your spam and other email filters
It's possible your email provider mistakenly sent our messages to your spam or junk folder. To prevent this:
- Remove companiions messages from your spam list
- Add companiions.com to your list
If you have other filters or routing rules in your email account that may have sorted companiions emails elsewhere, be sure to check those, too.
Check for issues with your email service provider
Depending on your provider, emails can take up to a few hours to be delivered. If undelivered or delayed emails continue to be an issue, check with your provider to see if there are any configuration issues or problems with their network that might be affecting your account.
What checks do companiions do?
ID Verification: Before going live, all companions are required to take pictures of their Passport/ID documents which are automatically reviewed by companiions ID verification partner jumio. All companions are also required to take selfie photos which we automatically cross check against their submitted ID documents. We also use AI technology to carry out a 3D liveness check, to ensure genuine customer presence during the photo upload process.
Proof of Address: Before attending visits all companions have to submit a utility bill or bank statement as their proof of address to give our organisers peace of mind that we know who our companions are and have their addresses should there be a problem
Insurance on every visit: We’ve partnered with YuTree to give every companion on companiions £1m public liability insurance as standard, for all of the visits they do on the companiions. The insurance covers companions for any accidental injury or damage they cause to a third party in the organisers/loved ones home whilst on a visit. Read more about companiions public liability insurance and how to make a claim here
Reviews: When viewing a companion or organisers profile on the app, a companion or organiser is able to read the reviews left on the app
Ratings: When a companion finishes a visit they can give their organiser or end user a thumbs up or thumbs down rating. Same goes for an organiser who can give the companion a thumbs up or thumbs down rating.
Mutual Friends: When viewing a companion or organisers profile on the app, people will be shown whether they have any mutual friends in common with that person. e.g. mutual friends on social media
How do I submit my ID?
ID is submitted via our ID verification partner Jumio, see more details on Jumio here
Is providing identification to companiions secure?
What are the requirements to book a visit on companiions?
We ask everyone who uses companiions for a few pieces of information before they book on companiions. Companions need to have this info completely filled out before they can accept a visit request.
companiions requirements for companions include:
- Full name
- Email address
- Confirmed phone number
- Introductory message on profile and profile picture
- ID verification
- DBS check (optional)
- Social media verification
- Previous experience
- Proof of address
- Bank details
companiions requirements for organisers include:
- Full Name for themselves and loved one
- Email Address
- Full address for themselves and loved one
- Telephone number
- Profile picture and introductory message for themselves and loved one
- Social media verification
- Payment information
- Emergency contact details
Why do I need to have an companiions profile?
Your profile is a great way for others to learn more about you before they send or accept your visit request. When your profile is thorough, it helps others feel that you're reliable, authentic, and committed to the companiions community. Whether you're a companion or an organiser, the more complete your profile is, the more visits you’re likely to receive/get accepted.
A great profile often includes:
At least one profile photo that shows your face and the face of your loved one, a video, description of at least 50 words highlighting why you decided to join the companiions community, occupation, skillset (add icons like first aid) your interests or hobbies, or anything else you think someone would want to know. For organisers you will also need include details or your loved one and their requirements and for companions you’ll need to include your experience and preferences
How do I know if an email or website is really from companiions?
Check the email address you have received the email from, anything outside of companiions.com is not us. If you are unsure please contact us
How can I keep my account secure?
Review the tips below to learn more about how you can help keep your account and information secure.
Make sure your password is at least 8 characters long, and try to use a mix of letters, numbers, and capitals/non capitals. The password you use for your companiions account should be different than the passwords you use for other websites, like your email, bank account, or social media. That way, if one of your other accounts is compromised, it's less likely to impact your companiions account.
A few general guidelines to help you stay safe online:
- Always log in at https://companiions.com/: or via your app. Check any page's URL before you enter your login info – when in doubt, you can always type https://www.companiions.com directly into your browser.
- Look for “https://” at the beginning of the URL. This means that your connection is encrypted, protecting the integrity and confidentiality of data sent between your computer and companiions. Some browsers may also show a lock icon next to the URL to confirm that it’s secure. companiions will try and force your browser to use HTTPS, but this may not work for all browsers.
- Keep your devices and software up to date: Device manufacturers and software providers often provide updates that address security risks and introduce new security protections.
- Install antivirus software: Install antivirus software from a trustworthy source to detect, prevent, and remove common viruses or other types of attacks.
- Check the sender: Don't click any links or download any attachments unless you know and trust the source.
Off-site payments and messages
companiions will never ask you to pay elsewhere – and we ask that you keep all payment and communication on the companiions platform. Don't share your email address before a visit is accepted or transfer funds outside the companiions system, and always carefully examine emails claiming to be from companiions. We’ll never ask you to exchange money outside of companiions or send us your password information over email.
If you encounter a suspicious profile, listing, or message thread or if someone emails you asking you to pay or accept payment off-site, let us know right away by contacting us
What should I do if I think someone has logged into my account?
If you think someone has logged into your account without your permission, immediately email email@example.com.
While we get back to you, there are steps you can take to protect yourself:
- Change your companiions password
- Check your emails for any notifications about recent visits.
- Make sure your contact info, profile photos, visits, and payout methods haven't been changed by someone else
- Confirm that any visits in your account were actually made by you
If anything doesn't look right, we’ll help you understand what changes were made and how you can undo them.
If you use the same password for your email account and companiions account, you may also want to change your email account’s password.
How do reviews work?
At the end of each visit, you’ll be prompted to leave a review of your experience.
You’ll be asked whether you’d recommend or use the companion or organiser again via:
- A ‘thumbs up’ or a ‘thumbs down’
- A comment box
Both companions and organisers review you in the same way. It’s a system that encourages the best behaviour on both sides and will ensure that both companions and organisers get the best experience possible.
Your review is then visible to other people on the app to help guide them to make good decisions.
Writing a review
To leave a review for a recent visit, go to your reviews.
Reviews are limited to 500 words and must follow companiions Review Policy. The best reviews include information that will help future companions and organisers.
Finding past reviews
To read reviews you've written or reviews about you, go to your reviews in the app
Responding to or disputing a review
Our community relies on honest, transparent reviews. To report a review you think goes against our review policy please contact us
Can I edit a review once completed?
Not once it’s published
Can I remove or respond to a review I disagree with?
No you can’t respond or review or remove them. If you have had a bad experience you should speak to the companion or organiser ahead of writing a review to try and resolve the problem. Reviews are only removed if they violate our Review Policy. If you would like to dispute a review, please review our policy and contact us
companiions Review Policy
In order to build a community of trust, we need to ensure that reviews on companiions are useful, informative, and do not expose our community to harm. Therefore, companiions expects that all reviews adhere to the following:
- Reviews should be unbiased
You are not allowed to incentivise positive reviews, to use the threat of a negative review to manipulate a desired outcome, or to influence another’s review with the promise of compensation.
You are also not allowed to accept fake visits in exchange for a positive review, use a second account to leave yourself a review, or coordinate with business partners to get positive reviews.
2. Reviews should be relevant
Keep your reviews relevant to companiions and your visit. Reviews that are off-topic are distracting and don’t help our community make informed booking decisions. For this reason, reviews should focus on your interactions with other companions, organiser or end users and your time during the visit.
To keep reviews relevant, we recommend avoiding the following:
- Commentary about a person’s social, political or religious views
- Profanity, name calling, and assumptions about a person’s character or personality
- Content that refers to circumstances entirely outside of another’s control
- Commentary about past companiions visits, or about the companiions product where it does not relate to the visit, end user or companion you are rating
When we receive a report of a review that violates this policy, we may remove the review from our platform. Repeated violations may lead to accounts being frozen or permanent deactivation of responsible account(s).
Reporting a review that violates this policy
To report a review for violating companiions review policy, contact us.
If you feel a review is untrue
While we encourage and expect all community members to post reviews that contain objective and accurate information, companiions does not mediate disputes concerning truth or fairness. We expect the author of the review to stand behind the content of their review.
Reviews for cancellations
Neither party will be able to leave a review if there was a cancellation as the visit wasn’t complete and disputes should be resolved between the companion and organiser.